Monday, June 2, 2008

Them. And us.

I used to be us. Now I am more them.

Us was the ad world, where perfectly good ads were dropped well before their sell-by date mainly because we got bored and fancied a change.

I am minded of this when I read this: As Honda's skydivers plummeted, its brand was heading heavenward

Thing is, as a normal(ish) viewer and despite reading more than my fair share of ad industry stuff, it all totally passed me by.

I recall some ads that now make sense, with guys practicing for a skydive and a URL something like 'difficult is hard to do.com', but it really didn't interest me enough to retain and check, and certainly I had no clue about Honda being the reason.

So, yet again, as with the recent Sex in the City hype, I feel I am being told something is a No1 Bestseller without much evidence that it is anything like.

I am all for creativity, and this is certainly innovative, but like with so much, the process seems to have become more important than the result.

Brand Republic - No more retreat. We must admit to advertising’s failure!

No comments: